Thursday, February 23, 2017

One smart cookie

The boy requested a dino fact for today. He wanted me to write that they all went extinct because of a giant meteor. I told him I wanted it to be a fact he didn't already know.


Fun fact for me. Half of the Troodon pics I found for reference had feathers. Half of them didn't. Prehistoric wildlife had this to say about the feather situation:



"While old depictions of Troodon‭ (‬then known as Stenonychosaurus‭) ‬show a lizard like dinosaur with bare skin,‭ ‬most modern reconstructions place a covering of primitive feathers over its body.‭ ‬This is quite a reasonable supposition as not only did other smaller members of the troodontidae have feathers,‭ ‬Troodon is known from as far north as modern day Alaska.‭ ‬Such a northern latitude even at the end of the Cretaceous period would have been much cooler than areas just a few hundred miles south,‭ ‬quite easily necessitating the presence of insulating feathers."

So, no feathers for sure, but highly likely given feathers have been found on similar fossils. I'm going to be honest and tell you I went for the featherless version because it's easier to draw!

No comments:

Post a Comment