Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Bats and Fireflies

I have two fun facts for you today, since I apparently forgot to post yesterday.

Here's yesterday's doodle:


A chemistry website explained the firefly's light thusly: 

The light from such reactions is called cool light, because it is created without heat. Reactions that produce light without heat are called chemiluminescent reactions. Perhaps the most familiar chemiluminescent reactions are those that occur in living organisms. Fireflies produce light without heat by a chemiluminescent reaction. Chemiluminescent reactions that occur in living organisms are called bioluminescent reactions.




Makes me wonder if bioluminescent algae and angler fish lights would fall into this category though. This fun fact may be only partially true.


Today's fun fact is about bats.

While most bats can take down 600 to 1000 mosquito-sized insects in an hour, a nursing mother bat can eat up to 4000 insects in a single night. I think I need more bat friends to hang around my back porch this summer.

1 comment: